The Wright State women's tennis team advanced to the Horizon League finals for the second straight year Saturday night with a 4-2 semifinal win over #2 seed Cleveland State in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
The Raiders received singles wins from Karoline Haller, Elaine Cloern and Haily Morgan, with Haller's decision in #1 singles being the clincher. The doubles teams of Linsey Verstrepen/Haller and Cloern/Morgan were able to notch wins for WSU.
“Once again we got a complete performance across the board in singles," said Wright State head coach Eric Burns. "I'm just really proud of the way we are playing. We battled just to get into the tournament and now we have played two of our better matches of the season. Hopefully we can get some rest and get ready for a rematch with Youngstown.”
Wright State (16-13) will face #1 seed and three-time defending champion Youngstown State, who defeated Detroit Mercy 4-0 in the other semifinal, in Sunday's final at 3 pm. It will be a rematch of last year's final, which the Penguins won 4-2. YSU won this year's regular-season contest 6-1 on April 1.
The winner receives an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
1) Karoline Haller def. Victoria Bensimon (CSU) 6-2, 6-7, 6-1
2) Isabella Spindler (CSU) vs. Linsey Verstrepen 6-7, 6-4, 0-2 unfinished
3) Elaine Cloern def. Aleksandra Golawska (CSU) 6-3, 6-2
4) Haily Morgan def. Princess Gbadamosi (CSU) 7-5, 6-2
5) Jana Schober (CSU) def. Vanessa Madrigal 6-0, 6-3
6) Blanche Lenoan (CSU) def. Tori Turner 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
1) Victoria Bensimon/Jana Schober (CSU) def. Tori Turner/Taylor Culbertson 5-2
2) Linsey Verstrepen/Karoline Haller def. Isabella Spindler/Aleksandra Golawska (CSU) 6-3
3) Elaine Cloern/Haily Morgan def. Princess Gbadamosi/Blanche Lenoan (CSU) 6-2