The Wright State women's tennis team pulled off an upset in the opening round of the Horizon League Tournament Friday in Ann Arbor, Michigan, as the #6 seed Raiders knocked off #3 seed UIC 4-2.
The Raiders notched singles win from Karoline Haller, Elaine Cloern, and Haily Morgan. Doubles teams of Linsey Verstrepen/Haller and Cloern/Morgan were able to post wins for WSU.
“We're just really proud of the girls for battling in this match," said Wright State head coach Eric Burns. "UIC is such a gritty and smart team and we feel really fortunate to beat such a championship caliber program.”
The win marks the first victory in program history over UIC in 30 tries. The Flames, who finished with an 8-1 mark to share the Horizon League regular-season title with Youngstown State and Cleveland State, won 146 consecutive league matches and 17 straight league tournament championships from 1996-97 to 2012-13.
Wright State (15-13) will face off with #2 seed Cleveland State in the semifinals Saturday evening at 6:00. The match time has been changed from the original 3:00 due to moving the contest indoor because of a forecast of inclement weather.
1) Karoline Haller def. Oana Manole (UIC) 7-6, 6-3
2) George Sanders (UIC) vs. Linsey Verstrepen 6-1, 3-6, 1-2 unfinished
3) Elaine Cloern def. Melika LeBlanc (UIC) 6-4, 6-3
4) Haily Morgan def. Bianca Zuzu (UIC) 6-3, 6-1
5) Rachel Le Comber (UIC) def. Vanessa Madrigal 6-2, 6-2
6) Miranda Rodriguez (UIC) def. Tori Turner 7-5, 6-0
1) Melika LeBlanc/Rachel Le Comber (UIC) def. Tori Turner/Taylor Culbertson 5-1 unfinished
2) Linsey Verstrepen/Karoline Haller def. Oana Manole/Bianca Zuzu (UIC) 6-1
3) Elaine Cloern/Haily Morgan def. Miranda Rodriguez/Stefana Vasic (UIC) 6-2