The baseball program has announced that former major league pitcher Dave Stewart will be the keynote speaker at the 2013 First Pitch Banquet on Tuesday, January 22, on the main arena floor in Wright State's Nutter Center.
Stewart, who spent 16 prestigious seasons as a player with the Los Angeles Dodgers, Texas Rangers, Philadelphia Phillies, Oakland A's and Toronto Blue Jays, will highlight the banquet that will kick off the 2013 season for the Raider baseball program.
Stewart played on three World Championship teams (Dodgers 1981, A's 1989, Blue Jays 1993) and was the American League Championship Series MVP in 1989 and 1990 with the Oakland A's and with the Toronto Blue Jays in 1993. He won twenty games four consecutive years from 1987 through 1990 and finished in the top four in the Cy Young balloting each of these years. Stewart won 168 games during his career and finished with 1741 strikeouts and a 3.95 earned run average.
Stewart was the Special Assistant to the General Manager of the Oakland A's in 1996 and the San Diego Padres in 1997. In 1998, he was the pitching coach of the National League Champion San Diego Padres, a staff that finished third in the Major Leagues with a 3.63 ERA. In 1999, Dave was the Assistant General Manager of the Toronto Blue Jays and added the title of Director of Player Personal for the 2000 and 2001 seasons. Stewart was then the Milwaukee Brewers pitching coach in 2002.
Stewart is currently running a very successful business, Sports Management & Partners, that represents numerous Major League Baseball players including Matt Kemp and Chad Billingsley of the Los Angeles Dodgers and Chris Carter of the Oakland A's.
Highlights in Dave Stewart's career include the following:
- Recently recognized as one of twelve African-American pitchers in the history of Major League Baseball to win 20 games in a season.
- Four consecutive 20 win seasons.
- Only Hall of Fame pitcher Catfish Hunter and Dave Stewart have done this for the Oakland A's.
- Dave became the 10th pitcher since 1942 to win 20 games four seasons in a row.
- From 1987 to 1990 finished in the top four in the Cy Young balloting each season.
- In 1989 finished second in the Cy Young balloting.
- Finished post season play in 1989 with a 4-0 record and was the only pitcher in post- season history to record two wins in both the Championship Series and the World Series in the same season.
- 1989 starting All-Star pitcher for the American League.
- 1988 Sporting News .All-Star squad.
- Pitched first career no-hitter against the Toronto Blue Jays in 1990.
- Won the Roberto Clemente Award in 1990. The award is presented annually to the player who best exemplifies the game of baseball both on and off the field.
- 1990 winner of the Joe Cronin Award which is an annual award given for significant achievement by an American League player.
Dave's hobbies include fishing, hunting and basketball. He was a high school All-American in football and baseball and was offered 30 college scholarships to play football. Stewart is a member of the Board of Directors of the Haas Foundation for "Team Up for Sports." An outstanding speaker, his most popular subjects are teamwork, teambuilding, communication and motivation and diversity in the workplace and society.Stewart follows in the list of great speakers, including Joe Smith (2012), Bill Bavasi (2011), Dusty Baker (2010), Jeff Brantley (2009), Marty Brennaman (2008), George Foster (2007) and Steve Garvey (2006). Jim "The Rookie" Morris was the first ever speak for the WSU First Pitch Banquet in 2005.
The First Pitch Banquet features a sit-down dinner along with a silent auction. The cost for the event will be $60 per person, $500 for a table of eight or a VIP table for ten guests costing $1000. The VIP table includes recognition during the program and admission to a pre-event meet and greet with Stewart. The doors will open to the public at 6:30. If you have any questions, please contact WSU head baseball coach Rob Cooper at (937) 775-3667.
Event Order will include:
6:30 - Doors Open, Silent Auction, Cash Bar
7:00 - Dinner
7:45 - Program with Dave Stewart
9:00 - Silent Auction Winners Announced